Custom Search

Sunday, November 9, 2008

Where the heck was that picture taken?

My pet peeve:

How many times have you come home with 25G of pictures and forgot where you took them? Well, you could always take the picture and log the GPS coordinates. It is painful, terribly painful, especially if your PND does not support some kind of "quick fix" technology - most current PNDs don't although that's about to change (more on this on a future post). So why isn't there a good digital camera with an integrated efficient GPS? I know they have been some failed trials, mainly due to battery consuption of the gps itself.

I just saw the new GEO35 from Wolverine. It looks like it is what I'm looking for, but I have to believe it drains the camera battery. Has any one tried it? Why not a belt mounted GPS receiver with its own battery so it maintains location. Snap your pic, plug your your gps and off you go. I know, I know, some of you are thinking, "plug it in?, that's so 1990's. Use bluetooth." Maybe so, but the battery will have to be bigger ...

Photo Trackr seems to work well (I have not tried it, but reviews seem positive). it works by syncronizing time in your camera and the GPS receiver. then some software on your computer does the tagging.

I'd love to hear opinions of users of the GEO35, Photo-trackr or any other camera w/gps.

Enjoy your TechTrips.

No comments: